The Bedford Town House is located at 321 Bedford Road, Bedford Hills, NY 10507 in Westchester County. The Town of Bedford is comprised of three distinct hamlets: Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, and Katonah. For information about activities, attractions, and things to do in or near the Town of Bedford, visit
Bedford Hills, and
A five member Town Board, made up of the Supervisor and four Town Board members elected at large, functions as the legislative body of the Town and is responsible for the "health, safety and welfare" of its residents. Terms for Town Board members are four years; the Supervisor's term is two years.
The Supervisor functions as the Chief Fiscal Officer and Chief Executive Officer. A Deputy Supervisor is appointed to assist with the duties of the Supervisor during their absence. The Town Board is a legislative body, responsible for setting policy, adopting the annual budget, and enacting laws and resolutions for the betterment of the Town's residents.
Regular Town Board meetings are conducted the first and third Tuesdays each month at 8 pm in the Town House followed by a Public Open Forum. Work sessions are held as announced. All meetings are open to the public and only certain legally sensitive issues may be discussed in executive session.
The Town of Bedford is comprised of three distinct hamlets:
Press blue button
for more about the Town of Bedford and the hamlets of Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, and Katonah.
Once known as Bedford Station when the railroad was built in 1847, Bedford Hills extends from its bustling business center at the railroad station to farms and estates as it spreads eastward along Harris, Babbitt and Bedford Center roads and south along the busy Route 117 business corridor toward Mt. Kisco. This hamlet is the site of the Bedford Hills Correctional Facility, the largest women's prison in New York State. Bedford Hills is also the seat of Town government and home to the Town House, built in 1927, and several other Town buildings where the Police Department and Town offices are located.
The original 1680 Bedford settlement was in Bedford Village in the southeastern portion of the Town, with its Village Green and historic buildings dating to the 18th and early 19th centuries. Among these are the 1787 Court House and several homes built after the British burned the village during the Revolution. In 1972, the Bedford Village Historic District was established by local ordinance and is listed on both the New York State and the National Register of Historic Places. The burying ground, established in 1681, was apparently still in use after the Colonial period as the latest headstone dates to 1885. A museum in the Court House is open to the public.
Katonah is located in the northwestern part of the Town of Bedford. In 1983, Katonah's Historic District was listed on the State and National registers of Historic Places. This district encompasses the Bedford Road area, a section of the hamlet designed by landscape architects, G.S. and B.S. Olmstead. Noted for its Victorian architecture, Katonah now stands somewhat south of where the original hamlet was located and before it was obliged to move in the late 1890s to make way for the expansion of the New York City watershed when the Muscoot Reservoir was built. Fifty houses were moved to their present sites in the hamlet. Katonah is widely known as home to Caramoor, Katonah Museum of Art and the John Jay Homestead, retirement home of John Jay, the first chief justice of the United States Supreme Court.
Location: Bedford Village