Bronxville is located in the southern part of Westchester County, NY. Local Indian tribes deeded this region to British colonists in 1666. The earliest settlers are believed to be the Underhill and Morgan families who arrived here in the first half of the 18th century. Both families farmed and tended orchards. The Underhills also established the first local factory. Manufacturing was part of the Bronxville scene for almost two centuries, until 1922 when the last factory, the Kraft leather tannery, vanished in a spectacular blaze. It was almost a century after the arrival of the Underhills and Morgans before the next modest influx of settlers would make their mark. Alexander Masterton, a prosperous stonecutter from Scotland, was lured by quarries of fine white marble that were discovered in nearby Tuckahoe in 1822.
In 1844 the Harlem Railroad reached Underhill’s Crossing on its way to White Plains. The 1850's was a time of change in the Village. Underhill’s Crossing changed its name to Bronxville, as the Underhills sold off most of their remaining land. The first commuters arrived in the 1850's, including the DeWitt brothers, several of whom practiced law in the Wall Street area.