Ossining History | Ossining Westchester County New York
Early evening over the Bear Mountain Bridge

 Go Back  
Back


Ossining History


Ossining

Westchester County


Sint Sinck Indians Wappinger Confederacy Colonel Frederick Philpse landholdings Manor of Philipsburg Loyalist Revolutionary War Village of Sing Sing Prison Ossining Ossinsing first incorporated village 
Town of Mount Pleasant Sparta Scarborough Ossining History

914-762-6000
 
Ossining is located in the western part of Westchester County, NY and borders the Hudson River. In 1685, Frederick Philipse bought what later became the Town of Ossining from the Sint Sinck Indians, members of the Wappinger Confederacy. This land formed part of the vast Frederick Philpse landholdings. The Manor of Philipsburg extended from Spuyten Duyvil Creek to the Croton River. All of Colonel Philpse's land was confiscated by the state in 1779 because he was a Loyalist during the Revolutionary War. Subsequently, many former landowners bought their farms from the state.

In 1813 the Village of Sing Sing, now Ossining, became the first incorporated village in Westchester County. In 1845 the Town of "Ossinsing" was created from the section of the Town of Mount Pleasant that contained Sing Sing, Sparta, and Scarborough. This new town was called Ossinsing, a different form of Sing Sing. In 1846, the following year, the name was shortened to Ossining which was easier to pronounce. In 1901, local officials changed the name of the village from Sing Sing to Ossining to avoid confusing village-made goods with products (such as shoes and stoves) made at Sing Sing prison.


Location: Ossining

Categories
Town History Town History | Ossining Town History | Westchester Town History | Hudson Valley

Looking for something else...
 
Web WestchesterTowns.com