The hamlets of Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, and Katonah comprise the municipality of Bedford. Bedford is located in the northeastern part of Westchester County, NY.
The hamlets of Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, and Katonah comprise the municipality of Bedford. Bedford was first settled under a Connecticut license around the year 1681. It was settled at a place called the "hop-ground" due to its natural product. The original patent, dated 1697, bears the Connecticut seal. In 1700 the settlement was attached to New york by order of King William. Katonah, in the northwestern part of Bedford, saw its Historic District, in 1983, listed on the State and National registers of Historic Places. This district encompasses the Bedford Road area, a section of the hamlet designed by landscape architects, G.S. and B.S. Olmstead. Noted for its Victorian architecture, Katonah now stands somewhat south of where the original hamlet was located. In the late 1890s, Katonah was obliged to move to make way for the expansion of the New York City watershed. At that time, fifty houses were moved to their present sites in the hamlet. Katonah is widely known as home to Caramoor, Katonah Museum of Art and the John Jay Homestead, retirement home of John Jay, the first chief justice of the United States Supreme Court.