The hamlets of Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, and Katonah comprise the municipality of Bedford. Bedford is located in the northeastern part of Westchester County, NY.
Bedford was first settled under a Connecticut license around the year 1681. It was settled at a place called the "hop-ground" due to its natural product. The original patent, dated 1697, bears the Connecticut seal. In 1700 the settlement was attached to New york by order of King William. The original 1680 Bedford settlement was in Bedford Village in the southeastern portion of the Town, with its Village Green and historic buildings dating to the 18th and early 19th centuries. Among these are the 1787 Court House and several homes built after the British burned the village during the Revolution. In 1972, the Bedford Village Historic District was established by local ordinance and is listed on both the New York State and the National Register of Historic Places. The burying ground, established in 1681, was apparently still in use after the Colonial period as the latest headstone dates to 1885. A museum in the Court House is open to the public.
Location: Bedford Village