History of Irvington
"The Village of Irvington was incorporated April 16, 1872. The territory of the village was part of the Bissightick track of the Van der Donck grant purchased by Frederick Phillipse in 1682. In 1817, Justice Dearman bought half of William Dutcher's farm and lived there until 1848 when it was sold to Gustavo F. Sanchi. In the same year, it was sold to John Jay, grandson of Justice John Jay, who arranged for it to be laid out in lots as the Village of Dearman. The lots were sold at public auction in New York City in 1850; the village of
was formed. In 1854,
, by popular vote, changed its name to "Irvington," honoring its beloved citizen, Washington Irvington, author of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle". Works by Louis Comfort Tiffany, who also lived here, can be seen in the town hall, library and the Irvington Presbyterian Church." Source for Irvington Government and History:
Irvington Town website
The Hudson, From, The Wilderness To The Sea, 1866
"Close by Sunnyside is one of those marvelous villages with which America abounds: it has sprung up like a mushroom, and bears the name of Irvington, in compliment to the late master of Sunnyside. A dozen years ago not a solitary house was there, excepting that of Mr. Dearman, the farmer who owned the land. Piermont, directly opposite, was then the sole eastern terminus of the great New York and Erie Railway, and here seemed to be an eligible place for a village, as the Hudson River Railway was then almost completed. Mr. Dearman had one surveyed upon his lands; street were marked out, village lots were measured and defined; sales at enormous prices, which enriched the owner, were made, and now upon that farm, in pleasant cottages, surrounded by neat gardens, several hundred inhabitants are dwelling. One of the most picturesque of the station-houses upon the Hudson River Railway is there, and a ferry connects the village with Piermont. Morning and evening, when the trains depart for and arrive from New York, many handsome vehicles may be seen there.
"Less than a mile below Irvington, and about half way between that village and Dobbs's Ferry, is the beautiful estate of Nevis, the home and property of the Honourable James A. Hamilton, eldest surviving son of the celebrated General Alexander Hamilton, one of the founders of the republic of the United States. It stands on the brow of the river slope, in the midst of a charming lawn, that extends from the highway to the Hudson, a distance of half a mile, and commands some of the finest and most extensive views of that portion of the river. The mansion is large, and its interior elegant. It presents many attractions to the lover of literature and art, aside from the delightful social atmosphere with which it is filled. There may be seen the library of General Hamilton, one of the choicest and most extensive in the country at the time of his death. There, too, may be seen a portrait of Washington, by Stuart, painted for General Hamilton, in 1798, when in expectation of a war with France, the United States organised a provisional government, and appointed him acting commanding general under the ex-president (Washington), who consented to be the chief."
The Hudson, From, The Wilderness To The Sea
Author: Benson John Lossing
Publisher: Virtue and Yorston, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., March,1866
History and Antiquities
The following covers "History and Antiquities", a general collection of interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches, and anecdotes about Westchester County and its towns. When reading the following, remember to keep in mind that this information was written approximately two hundred years ago. Population statistics and events have not been revised to reflect current events and perspective. We think this adds to the historical flavor and interest of the writings, giving a different perspective on much of this information and written in an "older world" writing style.
"Historical Collections of the State of New York"
, Published by S. Tuttle, 194 Chatham-Square, 1841
"Irvington, 50.8 m. (175 alt., 2,759 pop.), named for Washington Irving, is another metropolitan suburb ringed by wooded estates. Near the northern end of the village is ® the Anna E. Poth Home for convalescent and aged members of the Companions of the Forest of America. The ornate brick mansion, hidden by a wall, was built in 1918 by Mrs. C. J. Walker (1867-1919), a pioneer Negro businesswoman. About 1905, when Mrs. Walker was a laundress in St. Louis, Missouri, she concocted a preparation to straighten tightly curled hair that revolutionized the appearance of members of her race. In 1910, she settled in Indianapolis, Indiana, where she established the Mme. C. J. Walker factory and laboratories for the manufacture of various cosmetics, and opened a training school for her agents and beauty culturists. Here interests were wide; in time her sales agents were acting as organizers of social welfare clubs and were carrying on educational propaganda of all kinds among Negroes. She eventually moved to New York and as 'Madame C. J. Walker of New York and Paris' became a leader in Harlem activities. A year after this house had been completed she died, leaving an estate worth more than $1,000,000, two-thirds of which went to educational institutions and charities. The house still contains her ivory-and-gold pipe organ, her tapestries, and some of her imported gold and ivory furniture.
"Odell Inn ®, just south of the Main St. traffic booth, built about 1693, is now the superintendent's cottage of the Murray estate. When the Albany Post Road was opened in 1723, the one-and-a-half-story stone dwelling became a favorite stage stop. On August 31, 1776, the Committee of Safety of the State Convention met in the inn, then occupied by Jonathan Odell. Two months later the British took vengeance on Odell by destroying 1,000 bushels of his wheat, killing his hogs, cutting down his orchard, and carrying him off to a New York prison. In 1785 Odell bought the house and 463 acres from the Commissioners of Forfeiture, keeping the inn until his death in 1818."