Police Station Address
Larchmont Police Department
120 Larchmont Ave
Larchmont, NY 10538
The Village of Larchmont is located within the Town of Mamaroneck on the shores of Long Island Sound. Larchmont is approximately 18 miles northeast of Midtown, Manhattan and is approximately 1.1 square miles.
About the Larchmont Police
The mission of the Larchmont Police Department is to protect life and property and to preserve the public peace. We accomplish our mission by preventing, deterring, detecting, and solving crimes, by arresting offenders, by enforcing laws and ordinances over which we have jurisdiction, and by rendering related services to the public that further this mission.
A community free from crime and disorder remains an unachieved ideal; nevertheless, consistent with the values of a free society, the Village of Larchmont and the Larchmont Police Department aspire to this ideal. The Police Department's role is to enforce the law in a fair and impartial manner, recognizing both the statutory and judicial limitations of police authority and the constitutional rights of all persons. It is not the role of the Department to legislate, to render legal judgments, or to punish.
In the vast majority of police agencies throughout this nation, about 80% of police work does not directly address crime. The Larchmont Police Department is no exception . . .
A Bit of History about the Larchmont Police Department
The following history of the Larchmont Police Department is sourced from the
Larchmont Police Department website.
"Following the incorporation of the Village of Larchmont, the Board of Trustees made one of the first orders of business to provide police services. Subsequently, on October 10, 1891 the Village Board appointed Constable Richard Restore. To assist the constable carry out his duties several “gentlemen volunteers” were added to the complement.
"By 1893 a second constable joined the ranks of the police department, by 1896 there were three constables patrolling Larchmont and finally on March 15, 1898 a full time police department was organized with an aggregate complement of five patrolmen. In fact, at the time Larchmont boasted the only full-time uniformed police force between New Rochelle and Stamford.
"William M. Hynds, one of the original five patrolmen was appointed the Department’s first Captain in 1902; he would later become the first Chief of Police. Under his direction the Larchmont Police Department, whose headquarters along with the Fire Department and Village Hall were located at Circle and Linden Aves, acquired bicycles for each member of the force. By the early 1920’s Village Hall was relocated to a new building at the intersection of Larchmont Ave and Boston Post Road, the Police Department complement had risen to seventeen, and motorcycles were added to augment the conventional foot patrols.
"As the Village of Larchmont grew, so did the Larchmont Police Department. On April 17, 1933 William J. Keresey was promoted Chief of Police, and would remain in that capacity until 1974. Under his direction police radios were installed in 1937 revolutionizing the way officers were dispatched to calls for service, and drastically reducing response time.
"Over the years, under the direction of several Chiefs of Police the Larchmont Police Department has grown and changed with the times. Today it continues to strive to be a progressive police agency while maintaining the small town community policing practices and personalized police service intended by its founders and embodied in those charged with its direction."
Press blue button
to access the Larchmont Police Department website, and learn more about the divisions and services listed below: