Police Station Address
Elmsford Police Department
15 South Stone Ave
Elmsford, NY 10523
Elmsford Village is located within the Town of Greenburgh in Westchester County and is approximately 1.1 square miles.
Mission of the Elmsford Police
"The Elmsford Police Department mission is to provide for the peace and security of all residents and visitors of Westchester County with particular emphasis on those areas in which we are the primary law enforcement agency and to assist those other law enforcement agencies that seek assistance. The responsibilities associated with this mission are many. They include enforcement of State, Local, and Federal laws, protect life and property, and generally assist citizens in urgent situations. We are expected to carry out these responsibilities diligently and courteously and to take pride in the service we provide. We will at all times work in cooperation with community agencies and groups to promote understanding of and competence in our efforts in law enforcement."
"The Village of Elmsford, originally a part of Phillipsburgh Manor, was named Storm's Bridge in the early 1700's and as Hall's Corners during the middle of the nineteenth century. One-mile square, it is midway between White Plains and Tarrytown. Shortly afterward, in respect to the father of our country, George Washington, who referred to it as the "ford over the Nepperhan at the elm tree," Elmsford was given its present name. Adopted in 1870, it was inspired by a mammoth elm tree, nearly thirty feet in circumference, which had been a landmark since revolutionary days.
"In Elmsford's central square was a tavern, built in the early 1700's by Abraham Storm, and known later as O'Brien's Chateau. During the Revolutionary War, French and Colonial officers often gathered in this tavern and the barmaid, Betsy, frequently garnished their drinks with the tail feathers of chickens appropriated by the Colonials from Torie's hen-coops in the neighborhood. Thus Elmsford became the birthplace of that celebrated libation, "the cocktail." The tavern was also the scene of the escape of Harvey Birch, famous American spy, as related by James Fenimore Cooper in "The Spy." In his writings Cooper also mentioned another historical place in Elmsford, "Katy's Cave" where American soldiers were hidden during the Revolution.
"Through the greater part of the 1800's Elmsford grew very slowly. It was just a little hamlet with a church, a school and a store, surrounded by outlying farms. Then in the last decades of the century the railroad followed the river northward and established a station there. This meant that people who worked in New York City could now live in Elmsford. The village experienced a population explosion, which culminated in its incorporation in 1910.
"The easy accessibility of the community has contributed greatly to the industrial and commercial position of the village. One of the first radio stations in the county and perhaps the state, WRW began operation in Tarrytown in 1920 by an Elmsford resident. Descendants of Alexander Hamilton and Isaac Van Wart have resided in Elmsford. Van Wart, one of the captors of Major John Andre, during the Revolution, is buried in the cemetery of the Elmsford Reformed Church. Steeped in such traditions and proud of its heritage, Elmsford, in 1910, then having a population of 990, was incorporated as a village under the laws of the State of New York. Its first Mayor was Theodore Burke, assisted by two trustees, J.E. Luscombe and A. McConnell."
A Bit of History about the Elmsford Police Department
Press blue button
for up-to-date information about the Elmsford Police Department
"As early as December 1908 there was a proposal to create a regular police force in the unincorporated area of the Town of Greenburgh - an area that included Elmsford. But the Town Board took no action to forward the proposed act to the Board of Supervisors and thence to the State Legislature.
"The new village delayed in establishing its own police force. So pleased were local residents with the protection afforded by the detachment of Aqueduct Police, that in September a petition bearing 62 signatures requested the Village Board to enter a resolution of thanks in their minutes. The petitioners also expressed the hope that 'the said detachment will remain upon duty here until such time as their valuable services are no longer required.' The resolution was spread upon the minutes, and a copy sent to Sergeant Smith who was in charge of the Elmsford Precinct. In due time a letter from the Chief Inspector of the force expressed gratitude for the resolution of thanks - but made no mention of a future commitment."
"Nor did the village have a police justice in 1910. A justice appointed by the town continued to serve until the end of 1912.
"By the close of the year 1912, the Board decided to appoint its own police officers. In 1913 there were three men on the force: William Fulton, Peter Hordan and Grover Moore. Later, Thomas English and William Maurer became policemen in Elmsford. Evidently the officers were efficient in their work, for in 1914 Trustee Gallagher complained of too many arrests! (By the end of the decade, policemen were being paid 50 cents per hour.)
"Police protection as well as fire protection was improved. In 1921 there were two police officers, William Fulton and Grover Moore. Each worked a 16-hour week spread over six days. The men devoted most of their time to traffic problems, and the nightly 'door check.' In December the Village Board applied to the Civil Service Commission to increase police hours to 25, and permission was granted. With a rate of 60 cents per hour, the weekly pay amounted to $15. The hours went up again, to 33 weekly, early in 1922, and Moore's salary rose to $100 per month later that year . . . " Continued at Elmsford Town website.
Elmsford Town website